Second Presidential Debate Canceled as Trump Plans In-Person Events
The second presidential debate of the 2020 election is now officially canceled. The nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) made the announcement on Friday, though it had become clear earlier in the week that neither candidate would attend.
The CPD earlier announced that the second debate, due to take place in Miami, Florida on October 15, would be held virtually due to concerns about the health and safety of participants. President Donald Trump had been diagnosed with COVID-19 following the first debate.
Trump almost immediately ruled out participating at a virtual debate, saying: “I’m not going to do a virtual debate” because it was a “waste of time.” Former Vice President Joe Biden was encouraged by some commentators to attend anyone but he showed little enthusiasm to do so.
“It is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15, and the CPD will turn its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate scheduled for October 22,” the CPD said in a statement. The third debate is still expected to happen in Nashville, Tennessee.
The President has said he will hold public events with live audiences again despite his COVID-19 diagnosis. However, the administration has been avoiding questions about when Trump’s last negative test for the virus was, raising concerns for potential attendees.