NBC Makes It Official: Megyn Kelly’s Morning Show ‘Is Not Returning’
We are one step closer to NBC officially announcing that highly-paid host Megyn Kelly is no longer with the network.
With Kelly and her attorney Bryan Freedman meeting with NBC executives to negotiate her exit from the network, an NBC News spokesperson told Contemptor that Kelly’s show is canceled.
“Megyn Kelly Today is not returning,” the spokesperson said. “Next week, the 9 AM hour will be hosted by other TODAY co-anchors.”
It has been a sudden and stunning fall from grace for Kelly, who signed a three-year/$69 million deal with NBC last year after leaving Fox News. While her widely condemned comments defending blackface earlier this week was the impetus for her departure, it seemed to be more the straw that broke the camel’s back with the network, as tensions have been building for a while.
Meanwhile, while the show won’t be returning, Freedman noted that as of this very moment, Kelly is still officially with NBC.
“Megyn remains an employee of NBC News and discussions about next steps are continuing,” he said.
Kelly’s show has suffered through middling ratings since she took over the 9 AM hour from Al Roker and Tamron Hall. Also, her Sunday news magazine was a bust and was pulled after only a handful of broadcasts after viewers rejected it and critics panned her interviews with Alex Jones and Vladimir Putin.