Even Fox News Has Decided To No Longer Air That Racist Trump Immigration Ad
After CNN publicly declared an immigration-themed political ad from the Trump campaign was too racist for its airwaves and NBC pulled the spot after facing heavy backlash, Fox News has announced it has pulled the ad from its broadcasts.
In a statement received by CNN’s Brian Stelter, Fox ad sales president Marianne Gambelli said that upon “further review, FOX News pulled the ad yesterday and it will not appear on either FOX News Channel or FOX Business Network.”
That racist Trump ad WAS running on Fox News, but not anymore: "Upon further review, FOX News pulled the ad yesterday and it will not appear on either FOX News Channel or FOX Business Network," ad sales president Marianne Gambelli says. https://t.co/BJWKspmiwM
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) November 5, 2018
This is a surprising rebuke of the president by a network that has largely been in lockstep with him since his election and has seen something of a merger with the Trump administration recently. In the past few months, former Fox News co-president Bill Shine now heads up the White House comms shop while former White House communication director and Trump confidante Hope Hicks was brought on to head up New Fox’s PR division.
The 30-second-ad, a shortened version of the highly racist and false clip that President Trump shared on his Twitter feed last week, aired during last night’s highly-watched Sunday Night Football matchup between Green Bay and New England. Following intense criticism over airing the commercial, NBC announced that it was pulling the ad from further broadcasts.
While both CNN and Fox News have deemed the ad too racist for its airwaves, the clip has been discussed at length and aired during the networks’ editorial coverage over the past few days. Playing on racist resentment and fears, the ad directly ties Democrats to both a Mexican undocumented immigrant who killed two cops and the migrant caravan making its way through Mexico.